By the end of 19. September 2017 WordPress.org just released a maintenance and security update. With the latest update WordPress now shows version 4.8.2. as its latest release.
The update includes a fix to $wpdb->prepare() to help protect against SQLi injection attacks. WordPress core is not vulnerable to SQLi injection attacks directly, but certain plugins and themes may be vulnerable depending on how they use the $wpdb->prepare() function in their code. This fix alone is reason to update immediately to 4.8.2. Read more about it: WordPress Security Update 4.8.2 – Update Immediately
The following security and sql related issues were fixed with version 4.8.2.:
$wpdb->prepare()can create unexpected and unsafe queries leading to potential SQL injection (SQLi). WordPress core is not directly vulnerable to this issue, but we’ve added hardening to prevent plugins and themes from accidentally causing a vulnerability. Reported by Slavco.
- A cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability was discovered in the oEmbed discovery. Reported by xknown of the WordPress Security Team.
- A cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability was discovered in the visual editor. Reported by Rodolfo Assis (@brutelogic) of Sucuri Security.
- A path traversal vulnerability was discovered in the file unzipping code. Reported by Alex Chapman (noxrnet).
- A cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability was discovered in the plugin editor. Reported by 陈瑞琦 (Chen Ruiqi).
- An open redirect was discovered on the user and term edit screens. Reported by Yasin Soliman (ysx).
- A path traversal vulnerability was discovered in the customizer. Reported by Weston Ruter of the WordPress Security Team.
- A cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability was discovered in template names. Reported by Luka (sikic).
- A cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability was discovered in the link modal. Reported by Anas Roubi (qasuar).
You may read more on the latest software release on the wordpress website.
About WordPress: WordPress is the most popular content management system fot both bloggers and website owners worldwide.
Customers of hosted wordpress or managed wordpress installations do not have to take any action. The engineers and technicians of awantego.com’s websites have either already updated wordpress or a just about to update your wordpress website to the latest release (Version 4.8.2)